Monday, May 4, 2015

Books on Tape

There's nothing more gratifying as a parent than watching your child pick up a book and flip through the pages. From the moment my kiddos came into the world, I've been talking to them, reading to them and telling them stories. So it makes my heart flutter when they ask me to read them a story even after I've just read the book three times.

One morning after toddler time at our local library, I ended up in the cd/dvd section and to my surprise I found books that we read at home on tape. Forgive me for not knowing books on tape included stories for kids too. What a novel idea, but why not right? Although we don't spend much time in the car, we love books on tape. First it was Curious George then Cat in the Hat. The best by far has been the "The Bippelo Seed and other lost stories" by Dr Seuss. The collection of crafty stories keeps us wanting more. I've found that some cd's include interesting commentary and almost always a famous voice reading the story.

It's been a great way to explore new stories but also to keep things fresh. Having someone other than your parents reading to you has been fun for the kids. I also love seeing their eyes widen as they are closely concentrating and listening. The kids have a cd player in their room, so during nap and bedtimes we often times put on a story. I also love having them handy for car rides. They give us all a break from talking or singing the latest rage in our house, the Star Wars sound track.

Has your family explored books on tape? If so which are your family favorites?

Love,
Mommy SF
   

No comments:

Post a Comment